set in wooded countryside and rolling hills, is an ideal base for
touring Ireland's Southwest.
Blarney Castle was originally the seat of the great McCarthy
Clan of the Barony of Muskerry. On top of the castle, in the
is the Blarney Stone. Tradition holds that those who kiss the
Blarney Stone will be endowed with the gift of eloquence
or as locals say "the gift of the gab", the
ability to tell someone go to hell in such a way that they will
look forward to the journey".
One of the first things to impress the visitor to
Blarney is the well preserved village green. Blarney is one of
only three villages in Ireland with such an amenity and today it
continues to be a focal point of village life. The green is owned and carefully maintained by
the Blarney Castle Estate.
Shopping is a pleasure in the village where there
are a number of excellent outlets including the world famous
Blarney Woollen Mills. Established in 1824, the outlet has
become one of the largest craft shops in Ireland and is renowned
for the genuine quality of its produce.