Blarney, set in wooded countryside and rolling hills, is an ideal base for touring Ireland’s Southwest.
Blarney Castle was originally the seat of the great McCarthy Clan of the Barony of Muskerry. On top of the castle, in the battlements, is the Blarney Stone. Tradition holds that those who kiss the Blarney Stone will be endowed with the gift of eloquence or as locals say “the gift of the gab”, the ability to tell someone go to hell in such a way that they will look forward to the journey”.
One of the first things to impress the visitor to Blarney is the well preserved village green. Blarney is one of only three villages in Ireland with such an amenity and today it continues to be a focal point of village life. The green is owned and carefully maintained by the Blarney Castle Estate.
Shopping is a pleasure in the village where there are a number of excellent outlets including the world famous Blarney Woollen Mills. Established in 1824, the outlet has become one of the largest craft shops in Ireland and is renowned for the genuine quality of its produce.